What is paragraph writing? (introduction of paragraph writing.)
Writing is a great skill that makes a person perfect and courageous to opt the writing as a profession. If a person has fast and perfect writing skills can earn a better amount of money. Indeed. She/he can have a wonderful position in society. Whereas, paragraph writing is one of the basic and essential parts of writing. Whether a writer writes a story, an email, or a formal report must be having knowledge about the fundamental writing of paragraphs. As there is a good quote “a good reader is a good writer” So, you must be having knowledge before writing anything. The English language has gotten 4 pillars (writing, reading, listening, and speaking) which are really necessary. So in this article, we are going to learn about academic paragraph writing, the tips to write a good paragraph, and its importance. This lesson is really helpful for becoming a good writer.
A brief explanation of paragraph writing.
Definition: A paragraph can be a collection of sentences talking about one title. So, it is the combination of related sentences that will talk about one specific title. A paragraph generally contains many sentences that have a relation with each other, and they provide specific details, examples, or evidence of the main idea. Throughout paragraph writing, we need to clarify and organize information into clear, concise units of thought. A strong and effective paragraph must be having coherence, unity, and the development of the main idea, and it must convey the required meaning and should be readable and accessible to the reader.
Note: In the above definition I have mentioned the related sentences which means all the sentences which come in a paragraph should have connections with each other. They are needed to support each other.
Importance of paragraph writing in written communication
So far we know that Paragraph writing is an essential component of written communication and it helps to compile information and ideas in a clear, concise (brief), and readable. What are the important tips we must be aware of while writing a good paragraph? The following are some of the reasons why paragraph writing is important in written communication:
- Clarity and Coherence:
- Improved Readability:
- Effective Communication:
- Emphasis and Importance.
- Clarity and Coherence: A good and well-organized paragraph helps to make the written content clear and easy to understand. The structure of a well-written paragraph makes it easier for readers to gain ideas and identify the main point of the writing. Sentences must be connected with each other.
- Improved readability: The sentences must be readable and meaningful. By following punctuations and transitional words. Writers can help readers to process ideas more efficiently. This will help the structure of the paragraph to be more clear and easy for readers.
- Effective communication: a well-organized paragraph conveys the story or message effectively to the readers. It must be informative and arranged in a good manner. Indeed, it can help to ensure that the reader will have a clear understanding of the main points.
- Emphasis and Importance: A paragraph writing gives the power to emphasize the important views and points of the writers. It also helps the writer to show the weight and importance of key elements of the writing.
In conclusion. Paragraph writing is a skill through which a writer can communicate clearly, briefly, and easily.
Characteristics of a good paragraph.
It is really an important factor in a good and well-organized paragraph. It has many key characteristics that make it effective and easy to understand. The following are the key factors to good paragraph writing.
- Appropriate Length.
- Clear topic sentence.
- Consistency Style.
- Coherence: All the sentences in a paragraph are logically connected and supportive of each other. They are connected to one another concerning the main topic.
- Unity: The sentences of the good paragraph must be giving clear meaning, and should be supportive of the main topic sentence.
- Development: It tells us about the details, examples, or evidence of the main idea. All the ideas should be convincing and informative in addition. To the points.
- Appropriate Length: the length of a good paragraph mostly should be long enough. It must exceed the limit which convinces the reader, but not be too long which makes the reader bored.
- Clear Topic Sentence: Topic sentence plays a really important role. It should be clear and brief and state the main idea. It usually gives the limit to the writer and works like a roadmap for the whole paragraph.
- Consistent Style: a consistent style makes the paragraph perfect, indeed, it takes the intention of the reader.
By following these characteristics, writers can make a perfect, clear, and effective paragraph.
Types of paragraphs
There are mainly 5 types of paragraphs that are listed. These are the kinds of essays too, but paragraphs can also have these kinds.
- Compare and Contrast.
- Narrative: A narrative paragraph tells the sequence of events, characters, settings, and plots. We generally try to entertain, communicate, or inform a personal experience. In this writing, the writer uses dialogue, descriptive language, and other literary elements to create a vivid and engaging story.
- Descriptive: In this piece of writing the writer focuses on describing a person, place, object, or event. It is all about showing clear and sensory experience.
- Expository: An expository paragraph is used to explain, or describe a subject or concept to the readers. The writer tries to share the idea briefly and clearly.
- Persuasive paragraph: It is a kind of paragraph that persuade the reader to accept the point of view. Mainly the writer tries to convince the reader to accept or believe the argument.
- Compare and contrast Paragraph: when two or more objects, ideas, or concepts are compared to one another. The aim of compare and contrast paragraph is to demonstrate the similarities and differences between objects and ideas.
Parts of the paragraph:
A paragraph has three important parts:
|1) Topic Sentence||2) Controlling Idea||3) Supporting ideas|
|A sentence that defines the whole |
|Any idea which gives us the limit or boundary||All the examples which support the controlling idea are called supporting ideas.|
1) Topic sentence
Definition: The first sentence of a Paragraph that begins the paragraph is called the topic sentence. A topic sentence introduces the whole paragraph. When a reader reads the first sentence will understand the whole paragraph. So writing the topic sentence is really tricky. A good topic sentence should be brief, clear, and vast (discussable). In additions. It must convey the main idea of the paragraph. Tips to write a good and perfect topic sentence.
- Relevance. It should be relevant to the main questions.
- Specific. It must specify the main idea clearly.
- Consistency. The topic sentence is required to be consistent with the rest of the paragraph (supporting ideas and examples).
- Clarity and Brevity: it is really important to write a clear and brief topic sentence. The sentence should be simple (easy to read) and to the point.
2) Controlling idea:
An idea that gives a limit and boundary to the writer is called a controlling idea. It generally appears in the topic sentences. For example The major problem a working mother faces concerns her children. This topic sentence talks about the problem of working mothers that a working mother faces many problems. The writer has made it more clear by defining the controlling idea. It means one problem. Which is related to her children’s concerns her children.
3) supporting Ideas:
All the examples which define the controlling idea are called supporting ideas. Supporting ideas form the body of the paragraph and provide evidence, details, examples, or explanations. Which should be related to each other purposely. All the supporting ideas should define the controlling idea. We should not write irrelevant sentences.
How to write an academic paragraph? Tips for effective Paragraph writing.
Writing an academic paragraph is very easy and simple all we need to do is to follow the following rules which I have explained below.
- The topic sentence should be clear and vast. It must state the main idea of the paragraph and should define the whole paragraph.
- Develop the supporting ideas: The supporting ideas that appear after the topic sentence should be developed thoroughly. These sentences must include relevant evidence, examples, and details.
- Coherence and unity: All the sentences in the paragraph should be related to each other and must support the controlling idea.
- Revise and edit: Do revise and edit your sentences that help the clarity, coherence, and unity. Transitional words must be used which make the paragraph effective and strong.
Sample of a paragraph
The major problem a working mother faces concerns her children.
She must either find a reliable person who will be loving toward the children or a good day-care center where the children can go. If child gets sick, the mother must make special arrangements for the child to be cared for at home, or she must stay home from work. While at work, the mother may worry about her children. She may wonder if they are save, if they are learning the values she wants them to have, and if her absence is hurting them emotionally. She may also regret not being able to take them to after school activities or participate in family activities with them.
Simple present tense, Present indefinite tense, and the figure of speech.