Future Perfect Tense
Let’s put glance over the table. In order to make it clear we need to put a glance over the meaning of the tense.
|Future means upcoming time. Which starts now.||Perfect means Completed. Any action which is completed.||Time, age, or period|
Future perfect tense definition
The Future perfect tense indicates an action that will occur before a specific time in the future and it is imagined to be completed in the future at a specific time. More clearly, it expresses a sense of completion that will occur in the future.
|Future action||Future completed actions|
|Tonight at 8 am we will cut the cake.||Kamran will have gone at 8 am tonight.|
|The timing is 8 Am which is still on the way.||8 AM at night.|
|This activity will happen at 8 am which is still on the way. It means yet we have reached this time (8 am) but when we reach we will do it then.||This action is already done at that specific time (8 am)|
|So: for better understanding, imagine now it is 8 AM everything is ready. The cake is on the table. The guest is present. The host will call everyone to come near and cut the cake. Suddenly he asks for Kamran: where is Kamran? Someone says Karman has gone already. (For such timing we use future perfect tense: Kamran will have gone. It means this action is done before 8 am.|
Main, the important thing which we use in future perfect tense is
The auxiliary verb ‘will have ‘is used.
The formation of the future perfect tense (structure of the Future Perfect tense) “subject + will+ have + 1st verb + object.”
1) Positive Formula:
|Subject||Auxiliary (helping verb||The main verb ( dynamic verb)||Object/compliment|
|I, we, he, she, it, You, they & single name||Will + have||Go, write, cut, drive, read, watch & many more||To country name, Home, park,|
|I||Will have||Gone||To the USA.|
a) Positive Sentences.
|S#||Sentence with regular verbs.||sentence with irregular verbs.|
|1||She will have baked the cake when I come home.||He will have found his home.|
|2||I will have retired by the end of this year.||She will have gone to the city.|
|3||They will have opened the campus while we reach.||They’ll have paid the free.|
|4||You will have painted the wall.||You’ll have gotten the result.|
|5||The teacher will have checked the paper.||The teacher will have taught.|
2) Negative formula/structure.
|Subject||Auxiliary (helping verb||Not||The main verb ( dynamic verb)||Object/compliment|
|I, we, he, she, it, You, they & single name||Will + have||Not||Go, write, cut, drive, read, watch & many more||To country name, Home, park,|
|I||Will have||not||Gone||To the USA.|
b) Negative sentences:
|Sentences with regular verbs||Sentences with irregular verbs|
|1||She will not have baked the cake when I come home.||He will not have found a home.|
|2||I will not have retired by the end of this year.||She will not have gone to the city.|
|3||They will not have opened the campus when we reach.||They’ll not have paid the free.|
|4||You will not have painted the wall.||You’ll not have gotten the result.|
|5||The teacher will not have checked the paper.||The teacher will not have taught.|
3) The interrogative Formula of the future perfect tense.
|Helping verb||Subject||Auxiliary verbs||main verbs||Object||punctuation marks|
|Subject||Auxiliary (helping verb||Main verb|
( dynamic verb)
|Will||I, we, he, she, it, You, they & single name||have||Go, write, cut, drive, read, watch & many more||To country name, Home, park,||?|
|Will||I||have||Gone||To the USA.||?|
c) Interrogative sentences.
|S#||Sentence with a regular verb.||Sentence with an irregular verb.|
|1||Will she have baked the cake when I come home?||Will he have found the home?|
|2||Will I have retired by the end of this year?||Will she have gone to the city?|
|3||Will they have opened the campus when we reach?||Will they have paid the free?|
|4||Will you have painted the wall?||Will you have gotten the result?|
|5||Will the teacher have checked the paper?||Will the teacher have taught?|
This tense is used for an action that is imagined to be completed before another action in the future. Sometimes students get mixed up by future perfect and simple future tense. Which has a big difference if we concentrate deeply.
Sometimes we might use these two tenses conversely: for instance:
- Kamran will finish the work when we reach there.
- Kamran will have finished the work when we reach there.
These two sentences sound the same meaning. Because both actions will be done before we reach there. Even though structurally they are different.
Indeed, we must use future perfect tense for any action which is thought to be completed.
So, if the action is not imagined to be completed, or it is supposed to happen at any time we should not use the future perfect tense instead simple future should be used.
Some examples of regular verbs in the future perfect tense.
|S#||Regular verbs||Future perfect tense|
|1||plug||Will have plugged|
|2||wash||Will have washed it.|
|3||dance||Will have danced|
|4||Need||Will have needed|
|5||Join||Will have joined|
|6||Kick||Will have kicked|
|7||Play||Will have played|
|8||Watch||Will have watched|
|9||Pay||Will have Paid|
|10||Sign||Will have signed.|
Some examples of irregular verbs in the future perfect tense.
|S#||Irregular verbs||Future Perfect tense|
|1||Fight||I will have + fought|
|2||Find||I will have + found|
|3||Get||I will have + gotten|
|4||Make||I will have = made|
|5||Write||Will have written|
|7||Go||Will have gone|
|8||See||Will have seen|
|9||Take||Will have taken|
|10||Know||Will have known|
Short forms/ Contraction with Future Perfect tense
Sometimes students get confused by using the contracted form. Let’s practice them here.
|S#||Full-Form||short form / contracted form|
|1||He will have done the work.||He’ll have done the work.|
|2||She will have found the paper.||She’ll have found the paper.|
|3||I will have written the letter.||I’ll have written the letter.|
|4||They will have driven the car.||They’ll have driven the car.|
|5||You will have managed the meeting.||You’ll have managed the meeting|
|6||It will have broken the flower.||It’ll have broken the flower.|
|7||We will have sung the song.||We’ll have sung the song.|
Future Perfect tense Exercises
Fill in the blanks with the correct form of future perfect.
- He ______________________ with others. (play)
- She will not_____________ to court. (go)
- They will have ____________the team. (help)
- We will _________by the time you reach home. (leave)
- Tommy will have ______________the kitchen. (clean)
- John will have ___________before we reach there. (smoke)
- The teacher will _______________ the lesson. (completed)
- Will he ________________ the room? (clean)
- Will she have _______________the car? (drive)
- We will ______________ the film. (watch)
- They will not ________________ the program. (manage)
- Kamran will ______________( swipe) the card.
- Before the meal, he will ___________ the dishes. (washed)
- We will have _____________all the paperwork. ( check)
- The doctor will ______________ the patient. (operated)
The answers to the following are fill-in-the-blanks.
- He will have played with others.
- She will not have gone to court.
- They will have helped the team.
- We will have left by the time you reach home.
- Tommy will have cleaned the kitchen.
- John will have smoked before we reach there.
- The teacher will have completed the lesson.
- Will he have cleaned the room?
- Will she have driven the car?
- We will have watched the film.
- They will not have managed the program.
- Kamran will have swiped the card.
- Before the meal, he will have washed the dishes.
- We will have checked all the paperwork.
- The doctor will not have operated on the patient.
True and false
- As opened the room the cat will have eaten.
- The cat will not eaten the cake before us.
- They will have been to discuss the issues.
- She will be a doctor next year.
- He will have driven the car to drinking shop
- the boss will haven’t fought with us.
- John and Jerry will have swiped.
- we will learn how to speak about our relationship.
- the government will have provided the solution.
- They will not have mentioned the following tools.
- When I called you the detectives will have to detect them.
- I will have grew more with examples.
- Someone will not broken the glasses.
- Yoy will have operated before 8 O clock.
- You will not taken sewed the cloth before the function.
The answers of true and false exercise.
- As opened the room the cat will have eaten. True
- The cat will not eaten the cake before us.false
- They will have been to discuss the issues. True
- She will be a doctor next year. false
- He will have driven the car to drinking shop. True
- The boss will haven’t fought with us. True
- John and Jerry will have swiped. True
- we will learn how to speak about our relationship. false
- The government will have provided the solution. True
- They will not have mentioned the following tools. True
- When I called you the detectives will have to detect them. True
- I will have grew more with examples. false
- Someone will not broken the glasses. True
- Yoy will have operated before 8 O clock. True
- You will not taken sewed the cloth before function. false